Smartkarma ChartBuilder allows you to create simple charts with basic formatting choices such as changes in color and axis headings.
To chart Time Series data:
1. Ensure that your data (from any spreadsheet such as Microsoft Excel) is arranged such that the first column has the dates for your data with the column header "Date"
2. Copy your data
3. On ChartBuilder, click inside the section titled "1. Input your data" and use the "Ctrl+A" shortcut to select the sample data and hit Backspace or Delete. Ignore the warning sign that appears
4. Now, paste the copied data into this section
5. You should see a preview of your chart on the top-left of your screen.
This may not be how you would like to visualize your data, so do not worry. You can format your chart, as below.
6. "2. Series Options" allows you to pick the colors for your data, change the chart type and create a secondary axis (by checking one or more of the check boxes). For price data, ensure your chart type is "Line".
7. Move sequentially to "3. Chart Options" and onward, and add see how your chart changes based on your inputs in the preview section (top-left of your screen).
8. Once you are happy with how the preview looks, proceed to "4. Export" and click the "Create Image of Chart" button and then the "Download Image of Chart" link that appears.
9. Your chart has been downloaded!
To chart ordinal series data:
1. Ensure that your data (from any spreadsheet such as Microsoft Excel) is arranged such that the first column has the categories, and that the column heading is not "Date"
2. Follow Steps 2 through 9 from the section above
Note: ChartBuilder may not work for some data. If this is the case, you can create a chart using another software and choose to screenshot it (find out how to do this in the "How to Add Screenshots to Your Insight" section of Composing and Formatting an Insight).